Usually, when you grade student work, you grade it from the Lesson location - where it actually occurred - by clicking Utilities -> View, Grade or Delete and grading the items. This, then, transfers the grades from the assignment to the gradebook automatically. Voila! You are through! However, how do you enter a zero for an item that does not exist in the gradeable items area? This is one of the few instances you will actually go to the gradebook to enter grades. Here's how:
- Click the Manage tab
- Click Gradebook
- Choose "By Assignment" under the "Enter/Edit Grade" heading
- From the drop-down list on the new page, choose the assignment for which you want to add grades
- Click the Go button
- NOTE: Student grades are listed but there may also be some blank ones for those who have not turned in assignments
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen to the Batch Update area - click in the second box and enter a zero (0)
- In the large box, key in some generic message such as "Assignment not submitted"
- Click the Batch Update button - this inserts a zero (0) in for all assignments that do not have grades listed and the message "Assignment not submitted" in the comment box
- Click the Save button (or you will have to do this all over again)
- If you want to enter grades for another assignment, look at the top of the screen - (1) choose the dropdown arrow and choose the assignment, then (2) click the Go button
When you are all finished, click the Done button at the bottom of the screen.
That's it! Remember, if you have any questions or would like Jeff or Angela to walk you through this, feel free to contact us either by phone or just drop in. Sometimes, we even have chocolate available!!!